Friday, September 16, 2011

Mixed reviews

Technically speaking, I'm pregnant. But the results are mixed.

I had the blood test on Thursday morning. The results were 15 for my hCG level, which tests for this pregnancy hormone in my system. By this time the number should be closer to 100. The number is supposed to double every day. I have to go test again on Monday to see if the number has increased. If the number has increased, we could be on a path to a successful pregnancy. If the number stays the same or decreases this means that I likely had a bio-chemical pregnancy. The doctor said that she has seen successful pregnancies from such a low hCG start, so we're staying positive until we get the results on Monday.

A bio-chemical pregnancy, while it sounds like a false positive, means that there was conception but it results in a very early miscarriage. The biochemical pregnancy usually occurs because of chromosomal abnormalities in the developing baby. It was likely that this is what happened to me in May as well, given the symptoms that I had at that time.

While the results are not conclusive, I'm remaining realistically hopeful. I do feel a sense of calm having taken the test. Regardless of the outcome of this cycle, Frank and I remain focused on having children. Please keep us in your thoughts. xo

1 comment:

  1. you are in my thoughts. and my prayers.

    "realistically hopeful" is such a good way to be, but tough nevertheless.

    glad we got to chat this morning.

    ReplyDelete